Klondike Baptist Church was originally organized in 1907 as Missionary Baptist Church, with the purpose of being the instrument used of God to reach the Klondike community for Christ. The original site of the church, on the northwest corner of Mobile Highway and Klondike Road, was donated by James “Jim” and Emma Pierce, two of the charter members. Services were held across Klondike Road in a little red schoolhouse until the first building was completed.
In those first years, the Sunday School provided the foundation for church growth in addition to the twice monthly preaching services on the second and fourth Sunday of the month. Regular services began with the call of Klondike’s first full-time pastor, Rev. Henry E. Marlow, in 1950. Soon, a parsonage was built and a small wooden educational building with a kitchen.
Construction began on the Klondike Road sanctuary in March of 1956 under the leadership of Rev. L.L. Rawson. The South Wing Sunday School rooms began to be built in 1957. The North Wing, Kitchen, and Fellowship Hall were added under the administration of Rev. Emory Rogers. Major improvements to the building and property were begun in 1976, with additions of central heating and air conditioning, acquisition of land for the construction of a softball diamond and playground, and the pews being cushioned under Rev. Robert Lowery. Realizing that one day the church would need more space to grow the church finalized in 1987 the purchase of an adjoining six acres of land facing Mobile Highway, under the guidance of Dr. Edwin E. Scott. In 1991 the church began construction of an educational building. It was dedicated in 1993 and completed in 1995 as the Land building in honor of the late Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Land. Mr. Land was a long time deacon of the church and both him and his wife spent many years in the service of the Lord at Klondike Baptist.
In September of 2004, one of the worst natural disasters to ever hit Pensacola, Hurricane Ivan, devastated our area. The Klondike Road sanctuary, which was built in 1956, suffered signifigant structural damage, forcing the church to begin the process of building new facilities under our current Pastor, who was called that year, Rev. Joshua M. Wallnofer.
The church not only began a focus of building new facilities, but also building up the people of God with a new emphasis on the consistent, expository preaching of the Word of God, Christ centered ministry, and missional living. The Church has seen significant growth and felt the blessings of God poured out. The Church was able to build a brand new worship center with a beautiful sanctuary and gym in May of 2008. Under Pastor Wallnofer and the leadership, the Church is prayerfully and aggressively seeking to reach out to the community and the next generation while fulfilling the great commission and the church’s objectives and mission statement.